BMJ Learning guidelines for working with commercial sponsors
Statement of principle
BMJ Learning is a website run by the BMJ Group to help doctors make better decisions. The site contains interactive educational modules; some are presented as text and others use audio or video. The guidelines on this page apply to all types of module.
BMJ Learning works with appropriate sponsors, including pharmaceutical companies, who want to help provide health professionals with high quality education. BMJ Learning works with sponsors under the principles of transparency, probity, and editorial independence.
BMJ Learning offers commercial sponsors the opportunity to sponsor a module or modules, providing editorial independence is maintained and the nature of funding is transparent.
- The content of modules (including selection of authors, speakers, or interviewees) is decided solely by the team at BMJ Learning. BMJ Learning will select authors, speakers, or interviewees on the basis of excellent knowledge, excellent writing or speaking skills, and independence.
- BMJ Learning wishes learners to know when a module has been sponsored. BMJ Learning will acknowledge the sponsor at the start of the module. Our preferred form of words is: "This learning module has been funded by an unrestricted educational grant from [sponsor]. BMJ Learning has developed the module independently and has retained full control of the content."
- The sponsor will be entitled to place a sponsorship banner on the module launch page. Users can click on the banner and go to web pages hosted by the sponsor. The content of these web pages is a matter for the sponsor.
- As with all modules, BMJ Learning requires the author or speaker or interviewee to declare any competing interests that they may have.
- Sponsors are not given access to the personal records of our users.
If you have any further questions about our sponsorship policy, please contact us.
Frequently asked questions
Can a sponsor suggest a topic for a module?
We listen to ideas from a wide range of potential stakeholders and are always delighted to hear about new potential topics – but the editor's decision is final.
Can a sponsor suggest authors or speakers for a module?
Only the team at BMJ Learning can contribute to the decision on authors or speakers. This is because we regard the choice of authors and speakers as a content related issue and, to maintain editorial independence, only the team can make such decisions. The editor's decision is final.
How should advertisers or sponsors get in touch?
To buy advertising space or arrange sponsorship of a module, or if you have any questions regarding industry sponsorship on BMJ Learning, please contact Simon Walker at email@example.com, or call +44 (0)20 7383 6350.