Quick tips: inhaler technique
Watch a video demonstration of how to teach and check inhaler technique with your patients. Covers metered dose inhalers (MDIs), MDIs plus spacers, dry powder inhalers (DPIs) and soft mist inhalers.
After completing this module, you will know:
- How patients should use metered dose inhalers (MDIs), and MDIs plus spacers
- How patients should use dry powder inhalers (DPIs)
- How patients should use soft mist inhalers
- Ways of interacting with patients when teaching and checking inhaler technique.
Editor’s note: COVID-19 information
Several UK bodies have released specific guidance in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and patients with asthma or COPD. They will update their recommendations as the knowledge base and expert experience develop:
- NICE: COVID-19 rapid guideline: severe asthma
- The Primary Care Respiratory Society: COVID-19 Information for primary, community and integrated care teams
- British Thoracic Society: COVID-19: information for the respiratory community
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: COVID-19 - guidance for paediatric services
The Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) has also released a statement relating to the COVID-19 pandemic and patients with asthma.
And the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) has released a statement relating to the COVID-19 pandemic and patients with COPD.
Peer reviewed by:
Daniel Menzies, Raj K Rajakulasingam
06 Dec 2018
05 Dec 2018
|BMJ Learning||0:20 hours||BMJ Learning has assigned 20 minutes of credit to this module|