Hospital doctors,Foundation doctors,Medical trainees....
Hospital presentations: swallowing difficulties
An interactive case based module for medical trainees covering causes, assessment, investigation, and initial treatment of swallowing difficulties
After completing this module, you should have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Recall the causes of swallowing problems, and differentiate between neurological and gastrointestinal causes
- Elicit a full history, detecting associations that may indicate a cause such as weight loss, aspiration, or heartburn
- Examine a patient to elicit signs of neurological disease or malignancy
- Recall investigative options such as contrast studies, endoscopy, manometry, and computed tomography
- Understand the treatment options for oesophageal malignancy and oesophageal strictures
- Recognise the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to management.
Peer reviewed by:
Fiona B MacGregor, Mike Whiteside
25 Jun 2019
24 Aug 2016
|BMJ Learning||1 credit, 1:00 hour||BMJ Learning has assigned one hour of credit to this module|